Panettone or the like - I used a mini 180g panettone but reckon about 300g would have been right, sliced
1/2 pint hemp or other dairy free milk (oh if you have to, animal milk)
Grated rind of half a lemon
2oz caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Grease a baking dish of some fine then slice the panettone - good luck, mine fell apart terribly!
- Arrange it in the dish - you want to have bits poking up so you get crispy bits.
- Mix together the milk, caster sugar, lemon and a sprinkle of nutmeg- the easiest way it to measure the milk in a large jug and add everything else.
- Either - whisk the eggs and add or stick the eggs in and stir hard (guess which one I did). Whisking the eggs first will give you a fluffier mixture to be honest.
- Pour the custard mix over the bread, squidging down a bit, sprinkle over more nutmeg and let it sit for a bit. Bread & Butter Pudding type things are always that bit nicer when they have a bit of time to soak up first, the amount of time you give it really depends on how long you have, how impatient you are & how hungry you are - it will still be nice if you don't.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes - it should be set and a bit browned on top - or if you're like me you're gonna want a few burnt bits!
- Good with some fruit or custard. Or of course, both.