Welcome all, fill your tum with my num num nums.


Gluten, Dairy & Legume free recipes; some by design, others are just nice recipes that happen to be! There are recipes and also shopping 'finds', all of which are good for free from people and all yummy whether you are following a particular diet or not! Just because something is 'free from' doesn't mean everyone can't enjoy it - and you may be surpised at how much happier your body is.

'Special' is how my friends describe my food and me, I don't think it's entirely complimentary!

Sunday 8 May 2011

Belly Pork

Am beyond behind with my posting but I figure there is no point getting more behind by not posting the new stuff!

I love belly pork, I know it isn't the healthy choice but the combination of succulent meat & super crunchy ... oh hang on I'm gonna have to nick another bit of crackling off the cooling bit.

Belly pork can stand up to any strength of favours, so be bold! I served this with noodles & veg, and am planning to do sushi with the left over meat. Watch this space for how that turns out! It is such an adaptable recipe, go a bit porchetta or go a bit oriental. Belly pork is obviously fatty so clean & sharp flavours that will cut through it are good.

This was a 600g bit of pork but check the meat & adjust accordingly. Spice measurements are approx and obviously need to be adjusted if your piece of porks bigger!
1 tsp each of;
   Fennel Seeds
   Coriander Seeds
   Peppercorns
   Sea Salt
   Chilli Flakes
A star anise
Garlic Oil
2 sticks of celery
1 carrot
1/2 red onion
1 stick of rhubarb

Heat the oven to 250c. Score the skin of the pork. Make a rack with the veg - you're not gonna eat it, it'll just flavour the meat & keep it off the pan (well maybe the rhubarb, put that on top) chuck the star anise on & lay the pork on top, skin side up.

In a pestle & mortar crush all the spices, then mix them with the garlic oil & rub into the skin making sure it gets into all the scored bits.

Cook at 240c for half an hour then turn down to 175c tip in half a cup of water & cook for another 1-2 hours.

The pork will be tender & the skin crispy ...


No comments:

Post a Comment