It has nothing to do with weddings - apparently it is a bad American translation of the Italian which means a marriage of meat & vegetables.
The picture is rubbish - I will endeavour to take a better one next time I make it!
Makes 8 ish servings:
For the meatballs:
3/4 pound minced chicken
1/2 pound minced pork or sausage meat
2/3 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
2 tsp garlic paste
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1/4 cup nutritonal yeast flakes
3 tbsp rice milk
1 xl egg, lightly beaten
Salt & Pepper
For the soup:
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots (about 3)
3/4 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
10 cups chicken stock (the better the stock, the better the soup but I must admit I use cubes - Kallo Organic)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup small pasta (as you can see I struggled to get gf soup pasta so snapped spaghetti)
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped (this is amazing in it!)
12 ounces baby spinach, washed
Preheat the oven to 180c
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together and make teaspoon size meatballs on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Saute the carrots, onion & celery for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the wine and then the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta and cook as per the packet.
- Add the dill & meat balls and simmer for 1 minute.
- Taste for salt & pepper then stir in the fresh spinach and simmer for 1 minute - just until the spinach has wilted.