Welcome all, fill your tum with my num num nums.


Gluten, Dairy & Legume free recipes; some by design, others are just nice recipes that happen to be! There are recipes and also shopping 'finds', all of which are good for free from people and all yummy whether you are following a particular diet or not! Just because something is 'free from' doesn't mean everyone can't enjoy it - and you may be surpised at how much happier your body is.

'Special' is how my friends describe my food and me, I don't think it's entirely complimentary!

Thursday 8 July 2010

Sarahs Chocolate Orange Cake

This cake isn't really anything to do with my friend Sarah but she loves it so much I had to include her! Here she is with a little frosted one just for her to eat on her birthday. It is not designed to be 'special', it is based on a middle eastern recipe I believe, but with no flour and no butter it is ideal for those of us on 'special' diets and decadently chocolatey!

1 whole orange
125g caster sugar
200g dark chocolate, melted
100g ground almonds
3 eggs, seperated
1/2 tsp baking powder
  1. Put the orange in a microwaveable bowl, add 250ml water, cover with clingfilm and microwave on high for 20 mins, turning half way through. It doesn't explde - honest! It goes a bit like a shrunken head! Leave to cool, still covered.
  2. Preheat oven to 180c. Line a 20cm springform tin with baking paper.
  3. Cut the orange in half and remove the pips, put it in the food processor with 5 tbsp of the orangey water and blitz to a puree. Yes, the peel and all!
  4. Add the sugar, melted chocolate, almonds, egg yolks and baking powder and whizz again. Pop it into a large bowl.
  5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry and gently fold then into the chocolate mixture - you want to keep as much air in as you can.
  6. Spoon into the tin, put on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for an hour, putting a piece of baking paper or tinfoil on the top half way through to stop the top burning. Cool in the tin.
This suits a dessert cake for a dinner party or as a tea time cake. I must admit I have had a piece for breakfast before! I will post frosting recipes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment